Saturday, March 15, 2014

Escapes, Hosted By Vincent Price

Escapes movie poster
A while back someone, familiar with the fact that I watch a metric ton of cheesy horror movies every year, asked me about a story where a delivery driver ends up trapped in a podunk town after ignoring the advice of an older man to slow down and enjoy a cup of coffee before he headed on down the road. I knew I had seen this particular short, and it drove me crazy that I couldn't remember what anthology horror collection it as. Then earlier in the week I found it. It wasn't easy. I found it on this quite exhaustive list of horror anthologies. And I'm glad I did. 

Escapes is a collection of five tales of different lengths, hosted by Vincent Price. Some of these shorts were shown on the Sci Fi channel in its early days, but how they got Vincent Price to host I have no idea. I suppose they gave him money. The rumor is $10,000. 

The centerpiece of the anthology is the aforementioned Coffee Break, where a delivery driver breezes into a small town blaring obnoxious heavy metal music, and is advised by the town elder to turn it down, relax, enjoy the scenery, and stop for a cup of coffee before he heads back to the main hiway. Of course the delivery driver peels off listening to the music even louder, finds that no matter which road he takes he ends up back where he started, and eventually does stop at the cafe where he finds the town elder behind the counter holding out that cup of coffee. You know the rest.

Escapes is fun. You can easily find it on YouTube, and that might be the only place, but if you like this genre of horror anthologies you won't hate me for saying it's worth a look. 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets